For those of you who don’t have embroidery machines, or just don’t want to hunt down things like glass eyes and disc joints, I’m putting together some Flower Bear kits for the shop.
I’ve got three of the different greens out of my upholstery velvet stash, plus the chocolate brown that’s always been perfect for a sunflower center. I’m going to need some daylight or a better lighting setup to take the listing pictures, though – that middle color is a grayish green, not just gray, and the one on the left is the same one that shows up much brighter in the finished bear. I’m also going to need to find the tiny washers that go with those cotter pins — I scavenged enough loose ones to make the giveaway bear but I think I might need to order more.
I’ve organized a lot of sewing/art/craft supplies since moving and yes, I really do have a shoebox labeled “Joints.”
Saturday: I decided to sell off my faux fur stash because it was too bulky and I really wasn’t making big plush or costume items anymore.
Sunday: this happened.
In the course of trying to remember what it was I even bought the pink plush for, I did a DuckDuckGo image search for “pink plushie” and found nothing that jogged my memory but I did find some pretty cute (handmade) Mew plushies. I’m not a Pokémon player myself but when I found a promising pattern on DeviantArt, well, I’ve mentioned the way my brain works and here we are.
I haven’t started sewing because it has been years and years since I worked with a thick plush and I have no idea where my little box of binder clips have gone. Since that time, though, Clover has come out with Wonder Clips which are a more streamlined version of that hack, and I need some #11 sharps to sew the vinyl eyes, so it’s off to a fabric store for me.
with the ice dragon had come close to using up the yard of white
upholstery velvet from Fabric.com, so I ordered some more. While I was
at it, I picked up a yard of silver on a whim (and also two yards red,
which I’m not sure what Past Karen was thinking). Despite the projects
already on my plate, “I wonder what surface sewing belly scales on
upholstery velvet would look like” turned into… this.
Proper nerds may recognize this dragon as the current style of silver
dragon in D&D: frilled head with a “goatee” type chin section. I’ve
put my own stamp on it a bit; the official art shows kind of a bloated
round nose profile but I toned it down quite a bit. It came out a little
more dinosaur-ish than I was shooting for, especially in the above
pictures where I forgot to pin the ear on.
I also haven’t decided whether I’m going with the carved-bone horn
(black, below) or the smaller icicle-trim horn (chrome, above). The
problem with both of them is that they only come in one direction of
spiral, so I may come up with something else entirely so they can be
I can’t say how excited I am that the embroidery-machine plans I’ve had in my head for the last year-plus actually work. At least, they work after a yard of experimentation and fine-tuning on that yard of white. Now the real challenge begins: finishing a project.